- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds hot Italian sausage
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup wheat bulgur
- 6 green bell peppers, tops removed and ribs and seeds removed
- 12 ounces tomato basil pasta sauce (such as Berlolli®)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, choppeda
Heat oven to 400 F.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook about 3-5 minutes. Add sausage and break up with spoon. Cook until browned about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, 1 cup water and bulgur; cook until thickened about 10 minutes.
Fill peppers with bulgur mixture. Arrange peppers in a baking dish just large enough to hold them. Top each pepper with 1/4 cup pasta sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Add 1/4 cup water to baking dish. Cover with lid or aluminum foil. Bake pepper until tender, 35-40 minutes. Remove foil and set on broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese, if desired. Garnish with Italian parsley and serve.